Popular Posts

Monday, March 21, 2011

Comments on Suggested Resources Blog

I looked under the Little Green Footballs weblog and came across commentary about how Newt Gingrich is funding a hate group focused at homosexuals.  The name of this so-called hate group is the American Family Association.  This is somewhat funny to me; personally thinking of a much harsher, and much more provocative group name when it comes to being placed under the category of hate group.  Apparently, the Southern Poverty Law Center placed this association under a hate group due to the fact that they regularly use false propaganda to demonize homosexuals.  This is a very extreme far right association who's views I do not advocate, even though I label myself a conservative.  The extremeties of this group are seen in the views of one of its directors; Mr. Bryan Fischer.  He has proposed criminalizing gay behavior, advocated forcing gays into "reparative" therapy, and has made numerous claims as to why gays are responsible for the Holocaust.  Mr. Newt Gingrich has been responsible for the raising of $125,000 to support throwing out 3 Iowa Supreme Court justices who voted to legalize same-sex marriage.  The campaign againgst these 3 justices turned out to be successful as they were ousted from their positions in the Supreme Court.  The article goes on to say that forcing the 3 justices out of the Supreme Court would not have happened if it not were for Mr. Gingrich.  Charles Johnson is the author of this article.  He obviously opposses the views of Mr. Gingrich and the American Family Association, as I can imagine many including myself do.  He even goes as far as to say that the work of Newt Gingrich is "disgusting".  I tend to agree with him on a few accounts.  I myself am not a supporter of same-sex marriage, but I cannot even imagine the hate that someone has to feel in order for them to, in this case, "kick someone out of the Supreme Court".  Also, to raise such a great amount of money to fire someone from their job is something I just don't understand and can't comprehend.  We as American's have a right to vote and to have an opinion, and of course on many different situations we are going to disagree.  That doesn't mean that we are going to do something bad or hurtful just because someone has another opinion.  It is our job as citizens to be respectful and open to other people's opinions and beliefs, not to discount them and hurt them. 

1 comment:

  1. My response to your commentary for our blog assignment. I swear I'm not crazy for how long it is. haha Good job! -Mandy

    http://mandyhaynes.blogspot.com/2011/04/stage-six-comment-on-colleagues-work.html

    ReplyDelete